Friday, October 30, 2009

The Scariest Thing That Ever Happened To Me

One day, at my old house, when I was in middle school, while I was home alone for the day, I was out in the field next to it in a watermelon patch. I was chopping some watermelons with my favorite machete at the time. Most of the watermelons that I was chopping were rotten. As I was doing this, a big sliver pickup truck came driving down the field behind me.
I ignored it and kept doing what I was doing until a man stepped out of the truck and started yelling,
"Hey you little son of a b*tch! Get over here!" he yelled.
I was dumbfounded as to why he was yelling this at me. I hesitated at first but then started walking over to him.
"Get in my f*ckin' truck, I'm taking you to the f*ckin' sheriff's office!"
"What's the matter?" I asked him.
He then went on to tell me that he owned the "d*mn" property that I lived on, including the field, and that me chopping the watermelons was a crime. He yelled at me about them costing money, and then he continuously told me to get into his truck. He had another guy with him but the guy didnt say anything, he just watched. I knew that I wasnt supposed to get in cars with strangers. This old man who was yelling at me, his face was trembling all over. His lips quivered, and I was legitimately freaked out.
"Get in the truck! I'm takin' you to the sheriff's office!" he repeated.
"Can I at least go up to my house and call my parents to tell them where I'm going?" I asked.
"Yeah," he replied, "but you better hurry the hell up!"
I started power-walking away from him trying to be as calm as I could as he and his friend climbed back into his truck. As soon as I looked back and saw that I was out of his sight, I began sprinting full-speed back to my house as fast as I could. I ran into the house, and as soon as I got inside, I locked the back and front door, then grabbed my cell phone and ran down to my basement to make sure that the door down there was locked. I called my stepmother and sobbed hysterically into the phone about what was happening. Our connection kept breaking up until finally I lost cell phone service. I called her back and she told me to go back upstairs and get the house-phone.
I went upstairs and stayed crouched as low as I could as I crawled towards the house-phone. Suddenly, the old man began banging on the back door to my house and ringing the door bell at the same time. I grabbed the house-phone and ran back down to my basement as he continued to bang on the door and yell for me to come out.
I ended up talking my stepmom, who was speeding on her way home, and then my dad who stayed on the phone and tried to keep me calm. Suddenly, I saw some shadows moving across the basement and looked up to see that the old man and his friend were walking around me house, peering into the windows of my basement, trying to see where I was. I moved into a hidden part of the basement where they wouldn't be able to see me, and then the house-phone began to beep...it was going dead. The phone finally died and cut me off from my father and I hid in the basement, shaking all over as I waited for my stepmom to get home.
Later, I saw my stepmom pull up in the driveway, and I ran upstairs to see what was happening. She was talking to the old man outside.
Turns out that this old man was our landlord, and he was pissed because I was chopping his watermelons for recreation, and they were valuable to him. He called the sheriff and had him come to our house where he spoke to me and basically threatened me that I could go to jail for something like that where I would get beat up and raped everyday. Our landlord said that he wanted me to come do physical labor for him one day, but I never did, so he can lick it.
I didnt have to go to the "sheriff's office" and I was fine after that.
So there.

No comments:

Post a Comment